Penang Food List

I'm doing a compilation of the street foods(& others) that I've eaten during the three months of my internship (in year 2014). I usually do reviews individually for each cafes but as for street foods, I decided to compile it all in one post so that it's easier to refer to! Also, as a reference, I'll put those that I personally like at the top of the list with *thumbs up* next to the name of the place and also, those that I don't really like at the bottom with *thumbs down*, just for the heck of it. I'll also put a list of links to the cafes reviews that I have done at the most bottom part of this post, also in the same format, from the best to the not-so-good ones.

I didn't include the price because the price goes up and down with time and also, the biggest factor is because I didn't note down the price.

I've linked the places name with their foursquare location so you can easily search for the location and also comments. ALSO! I've made a compilation with google map (can find it at the bottom-est part of this post). Oh my, aren't I the best? Now, your food search will become so much easier.

Awesome places to nom nom

image Genting Cafe (雲頂餐室) image

image Penang Famous Chee Cheong Fun image
MUST TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The best Penang ccf that I've ever tried! The shrimp paste is very thick and the chili is awesome. Seriously a must eat food in Penang!

image Hainan Chicken Rice image
The other stores serves mediocre food including this one. Hmm, not worth ordering if you're food hunting.

Photo credit to http://eat-what-ah.tumblr.com/
image Muar Chee image
There's also an uncle selling Muar Chee which is served with generous amount of grounded peanut and also a touch of fried garlic (you can ask him not to add it in if you don't like garlic but I think it's goes really well with the muar chee) which I think is very nice too! I will order one big packet every time I'm there. 

image Sri Nibong Kopitiam image

image Kuey Teow Th'ng image
I have eaten this for a few times because I really really like the soup! The best kuey teow th'ng ever! Although during my first time there, I felt like it was just okay but somehow I fell in love with it. Every time I went there to eat, I would finish all of the soup too, till it's last drop. I personally think the night version of this is better than the day version, the soup base gets thicker(I think?). 

image 金园茶餐室 Kedai Kopi Dan Makanan Taman Emas image

Photo credit to foursquare
image The BEST Assam Laksa image
I kid you not. It's my personal favourite! It can get quite sweet though.

Photo credit to Foursquare
image Wok-flavored Char Kuey Teow image
Another plate of goodness that is to die for. Seriously, I can't make up my mind when I'm there because the laksa and the ckt is so so so so so good. 

Joo Leong Cafe

Hot Almond Drink
Ouf, thick, creamy, and almond-y. image

Toast Bread with Butter and Sugar
The perfect old school breakfast served with 2 half boiled egg. What a great way to start your day aye?? You can fine-tune the amount of sugar you want on your bread because you have to add the sugar yourself. 


Tai Kie Lye Coffeeshop

image Yam Rice image
Delicious yam rice served with mixture of pork. I can finish the yam rice without any other dish. 


image Pancake image
The famous Aki Pancake offers a whole load of choices! I swear, the first time I was there I don't even know what I should order because there's simply too much choices (for the filling). I personally like the chocolate and peanut butter filling one though. The pancake can be a bit expensive though.


Belacan Fried Rice
I actually ordered wrongly. Because there's two shops serving Thai food and they were next to each other. I happen to order at the wrong shop that is serving the one that is not really edible. I swear, one mouthful and that's it for me. Not taking another single scoop.

image Awesome Belacan Fried Rice image
The tastiest belacan fried rice in my life. Be sure to order from the shop on your right (which is the end of the shops) which will display a photo of this dish on their table. 

image Ais Tingkap Taufique image

image Ais Tingkap image
The only place that serves this one-of-a-kind drink. Perfect during a hot weather. 

Fried Prawn Fritters
Not bad for a snack too but can be a bit too doughy and oily.

image Kimberley St. (汕头街) Hawker Stalls image


image Duck Kway Chap/Koay Chiap image
DAMN AWESOME OKAY. But damn... the calories count.... but it's so so so so good. Served with a generous amount of duck meat and the insides. 

image Hokkien Prawn Mee (三條路888福建面) image


Photo credit to Boon Yan, a friend of mine who kindly "borrowed" his picture for me :)

image Hokkien Prawn Mee image
Unfortunately I didn't take any photo of this piece of divine food. I was too hungry, I ate it all up before I get the chance. I don't really like Prawn Mee but this is heavenly.


image Cendol image
MMMMUUUSSSSSSTTTTTTTT TTTTRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
YUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
Need I say more?!!? Really didn't expect the cendol there to be that good! Really surprised me.


Balik Pulau Hokkien Mee & Laksa

The shop is a bit tricky to find because it's located in a very discreet area. Can refer to their facebook for contact number to ask their whereabouts. And it seems like they are closed down since April.. Not sure about this though. 



Homemade Assam Laksa
Love the assam laksa here. Better than the Ayer Hitam one in my opinion.

image Passion of Kerala image


image Banana Leaf Rice image
My second banana leaf rice in my life. I'm in love with banana leaf rice after this meal. Constantly looking for other banana leaf rice store. Hahaha.

Fried Sotong
Very crunchy but a little bit oily.

Fried Bittergourd
Same here. But this is surprisingly nice too. 

Raja Uda Tomyam Mee
Joo Heng Tomyam (裕兴东炎面)

First time ever having tomyam like this. It felt like I'm having a steamboat. And the most surprising part was the bacon!

Raja Uda Tomyam Mee
The tomyam is quite spicy, very sour and salty too. The fried fish was too salty. Overall, salty is the word. I was very thirsty after the meal. 

image Kwang Hwa Tomyam Mee (光華旁) image

Another shop serving Raja Uda Tomyam Mee. Which I prefer actually.

image Raja Uda Tomyam Porridge image
I didn't know they have porridge version, this is very delicious too. 

image Raja Uda Tomyam Mee image
I like this version better than the Joo Leong one because it's not that salty, just nice.

image Sin Kim Seng Cafe image

image Pork Herb Knuckles with Rice image
A not very well known place but never eaten anything like this. It's super yummy, packed with herbal flavor. Reminds me of bak kut teh but it's not exactly the same. RM6 for a generous amount of braised pork knuckle. 

image NSN Kopitiam (979飲食中心) image


image Salted Vege Soup with Pork image
Another awesome discovery in Batu Maung. Very appetizing and they put generous amount of ingredients too!

image Ah Chye Rojak image

Recommended by a friend of mine who is living in Sungai Dua. Sorry, I couldn't pin point the location but I bought it when there was a pasar malam going on in that area. 
You can contact them to ask them where they are situated though, 016 423 5932. They also sell them in Gurney Drive according to this website.


image Rojak image
I still prefer the "Penang Rojak King" in Seri Kembangan although they do taste similar. Except the rojak here put less peanut sprinkles and there is additional "yao yu" in it (which I didn't like). Would prefer it more if he put more crispy prawn fritters or fried yao char guai. Either way, the rojak sauce is auhhhssuummm.

Kedai Makanan Seong Huat (祥发茶餐室)

Dry Bak Kut Teh
It's quite hard to find a good place that serves Bak Kut Teh in Penang especially dry ones because it's rare in here. But luckily I found a really great one in Sungai Dua! Thanks to my colleagues who one day brought us here for diner after one of our badminton session. Almost everyone of us was ordering this. I have to say this actually almost taste like the ones they serve in my favorite BKT place in Puchong.

Kapitan Restaurant


Nasi Briyani Claypot with Mutton
Damn nice lah weh. The rice can feed two of me but I can still manage to finish them raw because the rice is just nice on it's own too.

Naan & Tandoori Chicken
The naan can be a bit tough but overall it's still good. Really like the sauce though and the lime onions which goes really really well with the chicken.


Good places to nom nom

House of Kolomee




Fully automated system for ordering and even serving. 


Angchow Kolomee
Dried kolomee seasoned with homemade redwine, serve with stir fry angchow chicken.

Original

Braise Combo
Dry kolomee seasoned with homemade braise sauce serve with chicken wing, tofu, and egg.

Overall, the food was very nice. Be sure to order the sambal too (but it'll cost you) to eat with the kolomee which I think is absolutely perfect. 

Chulia St. Night Hawker Stalls



Curry Mee
Famous curry mee along Chulia Street. A lot of tourist and the soup is very sweet. For me, it's quite good even though I don't eat curry mee. 

Siam Road Charcoal Char Koay Teow




image Char Kuey Teow image
One of the famous Char Kuey Teow in town. We waited an hour for this. The food is a little bit too watery and very oily. The taste was good but.. it's just too oily for me. Not really worth the wait if you're very very hungry, but trying once is okay.

Sunshine Market Food Court

Lai Hoe Tomyam Maggi
HOT STUFF! Super spicy in my opinion but it's good, sourish and very appetizing. Just don't try to eat this with an empty stomach.

Banana Leaf Rice
Great banana leaf rice! Really like the vegetarian beef meatball and the curry. 

Photo credit to Sky F. from foursquare
Ice Blended Red Bean 红豆搅
This was also recommended to me by the locals but I don't like red bean so I didn't order any. For those who do, please, by all means, try it. 

Pulau Tikus Market Hawker Stalls

Luk Luk
Lots of choices to choose from.

Red Chopsticks

The shop offers tons of choices including Nyonya cuisine. Not really a place for food hunt but just a normal dinner place. 

Almond dessert(?) 
Forgotten the exact name. Not much almond flavor but very sweet and fried yao char guai was very hard like rock.


Forgot what this is, but it's not bad. 
Sorry for the half-assed review for this. 

Maxim Dim Sum Restaurant (美食之家)

Plenty of choice, plenty of people too. Be sure to go early to avoid waiting too long. Taste-wise, so-so.

Old Winston Coffee Garden (点心之家)

A HUGE place to cater an insane amount of people. Even when it's almost 11pm, people are still crowding in this place for dim sum. The food is almost the same as Maxim Dim Sum but I personally think this place is dirtier. Also, it's hard to find parking here. 

I find this bacon wrapped dim sum interesting though because.. I never see people using bacon as a dim sum dish. The custard bun and pork bun was sold out when we got there. So be sure to be EARLY too for more food. 

Pak Hussin Tomyam


Cheap and nice Thai food. Frankly I like all the dish they served. Although some of them is a little bit cold, but taste-wise it's good. 

Laici susu. The first time I'm tasting it and I have to say it's surprisingly good too. Probably be asking for this drink in the next mamak stall that I'll be dining in.

Ken Curry House

Asam Fish Nasi Lemak
They serve in sets. Asam fish was quite good, they also served pickled radish/vege which I seem to taken a liking to eat.

Nasi Lemak Kukus Pendekar Mustar

Nasi Lemak
It looks a bit like a home-cook meal. Lol. But I really really like the beef rendang and also the fragrant nasi lemak! 

Air Itam Asam Laksa 

Assam Laksa
I actually yearned for this for quite a long time when I was there. But when I finally tasted it, I felt like it wasn't that good like the last time I eaten it. Maybe it's because I found a better one. 

Joez Coconut Jelly 

Coconut Milkshake
Coconut juice, coconut meat, some edible pearls, a lot of sugar and vanilla ice-cream. Would love to have this in my hands on a sunny day. 

Coconut Jelly
Need I say more?? Who can resist them? 

Leong Huat Seng Kopitiam

Fish Head Meehoon Soup
It can be a bit salty but the soup can be really nice... The trick is to add a little bit of water. That's what I did anyway. Thanks to the generous amount of vege, it's sweet too. 

Selera Sim Food & Drinks Service Centre (沈饮食服务中心)


Jawa Mee
I don't really eat Jawa Mee, but I've eaten this twice just because it's different from the ones I normally see in my life.

BB Café (BB 飲食中心)

In the evening, the shop is closed but there will be a single shop serving Bak Kut Teh around the cafe.

Chicken Floss Steamed Vege

Bak Kut Teh
The portion was suprisingly SMALL but the soup is unlimited. The soup is thick and delicious. Just wish that they would give more meat.

Fried Tofu

Edelweiss Café



B52 (Pork Sausage with Rosti)
There were just two of us having dinner. We ordered just one thing and it cost us almost RM50. Super duper expensive. Be prepared to burn a hole in your pocket if you're coming here. Well, at least the food is nice, I'll give you that. Was tempted to order the cheese main course but it'll cost me RM100. Well, maybe another day.

Kim Hin Cafe

Chinese assorted dish
Frankly I forgotten what dish we ordered but overall, the food is really yummy and they serve them really fast too. Not a bad place for a dinner. 

My Voice Cafe





Big Arse Bowl of Ramen Noodle
They have a few flavor to choose from and also you can choose the servings too (minimum 2). We ordered 2 servings, and is just nice for 2 people. As for the flavor, I was taken aback because it taste kind of authentic and very good too.

Nasi Kandar Line Clear

Nasi Kandar
Don't know what the buzz is about. It's just another bowl of nasi kandar. 

The Cruises Steak House



Great steak but service can be slow. Especially during lunch hour, you'll get a headache when finding a parking and a place to sit inside the restaurant too. 


No-no places to nom nom

FYI - I didn't include this in the google map.

Lemon Jelly & Asam Laksa Weld Quay

image Lemon Jelly image
A let down. Taste like sweet plain water with jelly.

Asam Laksa
This is just so-so. Not bad either.

Cecil St. Wet Market & Hawker Stalls (七条路巴刹)

Was there to try the Duck mee, but it didn't open when we were there (twice). So have to settle with the other food stalls... And it was disappointing. 

Okay.. but... don't really like it.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
F*cking tasteless. Worst Char Kuey Teow ever.

This one caught my attention because of the comments of the fried sago on foursquare, so decided to give it a try. Never really eaten fried sago before.

image Fried Sago image
Turns out.... it was yuck.. Everyone of us give it a pass after a bite. It's just sago cooked in soy sauce(?), taugeh and chili paste.

Kampar Fish Jelly Restaurant (金宝自制特式酿料饮食馆)


Yong Tau Fu + Mee
Noodle and the YTF tasted bland. But the "Pok Pok Chui" is seriously very crispy. 

Telok Bayan Cafe


Claypot Chicken Rice
Burnt and hard rice. I think some is undercooked too. Very sweet. Hmm... Not going to have this for the second time in my life.

Tomyam Mee
EXTREMELY SPICY tomyam mee. Trust me, you'll boom your toilet the next day and have a very annoying sore throat too as a bonus.

Apom
Expected to be crunchy but it was like eating bread. I didn't really like it. 

Lorong Selamat Char Kuey Teow

(Aunty with goggle)

image Char Kuey Teow image
Tasteless and super duper expensive. I don't know why it's famous! I mean, it doesn't even taste like anything. Banned forever!!!!

Big Ben Breakfast 英式早餐


image Breakfast Set image
I can basically cook this up at home in a few minutes. Not worth the money in my opinion. The service was bad too. Don't like the attitude of the shopkeeper. 

Penang Road Famous Teochew Cendol


I didn't try the overrated Cendol during that period of time when I was there but I did try them before in my previous visit to Penang. I didn't really like it. I don't know why so many people go there for it, maybe because it's just famous. The cendol is just normal, nothing special, but some say it's the best. Frankly, I beg to differ. I've tasted better. 



Other Reviews

Cafes & Desserts
image Sitigun image



Restaurants & Dining



Map

1 comment:

  1. it looks like as tho ur already half penang lang!

    mana itu awesome punya cendol?? *drool*

    ReplyDelete