Foodie Review | Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice & Sinpopo Brand


No time to edit/rotate this picture. So... just.. look at it.. :P
I have been wanting to go to this place for ages and my bf even flipped out on me because he said I said that for too many times (maybe it's PMS time for him) and so, we went all the way from Bukit Batok to East Coast to try this. And after that long journey, it turns out they have a branch in Bukit Timah, which is just 15 minutes away from our home (which made my bf flipped out once again). Sorry love, orz (Just tell me it's been awhile since you see this emoticon).
Okay lol, jokes aside...



Despite being in Singapore for over 5 months, this is my first time having Hainanese Chicken Rice here. 


For me it was quite nice. I mean smooth chicken meat and fragrant rice and all. I mean.. that actually applies to all hainanese chicken rice dish. Since this is my first time trying it in Singapore, I can't give a comparison. My boyfriend did say that it is nicer than the one he had in some random food court. As for the other dish, the nuts (snack) was given as a default (we didn't order it) and we ordered a plate of young green bean with some fried "he bi" which was.. so-so. The fried "he bi" was stale some how. 

Despite the restaurant name, they also served a lot of other chinese dishes. Including "Yee Sang" set for Chinese New Year specials. Prices are reasonable.

Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice
Where | 3 branches in Singapore
East (Visited) | 191/193 East Coast Road, 428897
West | 6/7 Cheong Chin Nam Road, 599732
Centre | 419 River Valley Road, 248318



Since we were bored out of our mind, we decided to search for a nearby place for dessert. Made a quick search on Foursquare, and this cafe popped out. Despite their "classical" name, it is actually quite a retro & hipster-ish cafe.


Honestly, if I were to happen to walk by this place, I wouldn't give it much attention because the signboard just give me the "old-school" store vibe. But, they happen to have some banners hanging outside the shop. Good marketing technique. Kudos to the photographer. 



When we came in, we were greeted by a really friendly waitress. I personally really liked the service. After she showed us to our seats and gave us the menus, she automatically explains which one is the bestseller and give us some recommendations. 

"Smexy dessert"... No dirty joke intended.
We wanted to try a lot of things actually but since we just had our lunch before heading to this place, we can only afford to order.. one for each. Hahaha. Believe me, if we went there with empty stomachs.. *huek huek huek*. Okay, joking. Or am I?

Anyway, we ordered the bestsellers of course.


Katong Jelly -7$
A refreshing soda with shredded jelly drink. It reminded me of the pink jelly in a cup that I always eat when I was in primary school! Anyway, it's a really special drink and I really liked it. 


Doughnuts and Gula Melaka with Affogato -8$
If you opened up their Foursquare profile, you'll mostly see pictures of this dessert. It's just mini doughnut served on these two "spike stick" with melted gula melaka. Also, served with a mini affogato (which basically means espresso with ice cream). Simple but fulfilling snack. Try to dip the doughnut pieces in the affogato! At least, that is how we ate it.


Durian Pengat - 9$
This is the first time I have heard of durian pengat. I googled, and to make durian pengat, you basically need: durian pulp, coconut milk, milk, pandan leaves, salt and gula melaka. Sinpopo brand adds a twist to this dessert by serving it with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream and croutons. Guilty pleasure.

I'm definitely coming back to try more varieties of the dessert they have! As you can see, most of the food they served are basically local dishes but with a twist. A westernized local food concept perhaps? But anyway, I really like the idea.

Sinpopo Brand
Where | 458 Joo Chiat Rd, Singapore 427671

No comments:

Post a Comment